Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mustardy Barbecue Sauce

I don't like mustard. Really. A squiggle of mustard on a bratwurst or sausage does did not appeal to my tastebuds. Dipping the corner of a Philadelphia-Style soft pretzel into a clear plastic cup with mustard is sacrilege (perhaps my view is forever tarnished as i've read too much about gluten and rarely ever enjoy a quality bratwurst or pretzel.....enough already!)

But then I started to barbeque. I smoked a pork shoulder and made a classic red barbeque sauce. It was spicy and zesty and good. I pulled out my copy of the Professional Chef 8th edition and surprise, surprise one of the three barbeque sauce recipes was a North Carolina Eastern Low Country, think mustard, Sauce.

So I made it. And I liked it. The other day I made a similiar version of the same to sauce up a sous-vided pork shoulder. It is also good with red cabbage slaw or mixed with tomatillo salsa and poured onto any type of properly cooked protein. I'm sure it is fabulous on fresh pork sausage or even on the corner of a pretzel. Paleo or Primal eaters don't fear, I skipped the sugar.....this is also good on scrambled eggs and spinach!


 Loosley based on: The Professional Chef: Mustard Barbeque Sauce:

1T. Olive oil
1 Sweet onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
6-8 ounces of white vinegar
5 ounces total:
  • Whole grain mustard
  • Djon mustard
  • Spicy German mustard
Spices: Just enough
  • Caraway seed
  • Cumin seed
  • Coriander seed
  • Anise seed
  • Mustard seed
  • Salt and Pepper

Sweat the onions in the olive oil, add the garlic for a few minutes, throw in the spices until fragrant, pour in the vinegar and mustard, stir and cook to desired thickness. Add more vinegar if necessary. I like the sauce thick so i cook it longer than recommended. Also if you have a mortar and pestle it would be good to crush the seeds. The flavor burst when chomping onto whole coriander seeds is pretty intense. One is fine but two is over the top.

I believe I see some red pepper flakes in there as well. Feel free to experiment.

Turns out, I do like mustard after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment