Friday, January 13, 2012

Pastelon

I first made this dish a few weeks back as part of my families Christmas dinner. As usual I followed the recipe exactly and it came out as pictured. The complete recipe can be found here: The Noshery .

This time around I modified the recipe to make it dairy free and threw in some extra vegetables:

1# Grass-fed ground beef
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves diced
1 red pepper chopped
1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
1/4 c. homemade sofrito
2 T. adobo
2 T. vinegar
1 T Siracha
1/2 c. coconut milk
3-4 T. tomato paste
1/2 c. homemade salsa
1/2 c. raisins
3 bay leaves
2 springs of fresh mexican oregano
2 Plaintains peeled, sliced, and fried
3 eggs whisked with 1 T. almond milk

Layer meat/vegetable mixture with plantains. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes


Brown hamburger,

Saute onions and garlic. Add sofrito.

 Mix in salsa and tomato paste.

 Add raisins, adobo, vinegar, coconut milk, bay leaves, and mexican oregano

Add peppers, cabbage, and browned hamburger. Cook until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.

Fry plaintains.

Assemble. Pour eggs over the top.

Eat.

While not quite as tasty as the version with two cups of cheese, this is a dish that I will continue to make as long as I can get my hands on some plantains. We polished off the entire crock in one sitting........I ate most of it and should now have plenty of fat calories to fuel tomorrow's long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment