Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sweet Asian Glazed Beef and Salmon

My mental state was in  a nose dive. I had committed the dual sin of skipping lunch and doing my grocery shopping in the same afternoon.  As my blood sugar yo-yo-ed back and forth, dipping closer and closer to full-on crabiness; I was desperate for the glaze to thicken, the steak to sear, and the rice to cook.

Dinner could not be served soon enough.

I devoured my first helping like a dog sneaking Kibble from the food bin. As I reached for seconds three simple words written by David Kessler climbed up the memory ladder in my brain: Sweet, salt, and fat.

In his book "The End of Overeating",  Kessler pounds those three words into your subconscious.  Salt, sugar and fat. Repeat after me. Salt, sugar, and fat. Or was it fat, salt, and sweet. Or perhaps salt, sweet and fat? Your get my point.

According to Kessler, If your food is layered with sugary sweetness, comforting fat, and nerve tingling saltiness; chances are you will eat. And eat. And eat. This is a technique mastered by ingenious food manufacturers and industry marketers. If you want to end the overeating in your life then the obvious conclusion seems to be: restrict the fat, the sweet, and the salt.

Perhaps it's not that simple.

I normally avoid sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or any other sweetener in my savory food preparations. Except for today. Needless to say my senses were abuzz as I enjoyed the devilish trio



Not worried about a bulging waistline, strained pancreas, or high blood pressure?

Asian Glaze - Modified from Cooks Illustrated
  • 3 T brown sugar
  • 2 T soy sauce (gluten free)
  • 1 T  Dijon mustard
  • 1 T rice vinegar
  • 2 T tomato paste
  • 1 T mirin
  • pinch of red pepper flakes

No comments:

Post a Comment